What are my chances?

So my parents are Mexican and I was raised in the U.S. Though my parents claim that I used to be fluent in early childhood, I’ve long since struggled learning Spanish. I have the chance to study abroad in Mexico, which I really, truly want to do. I feel as if it would be good for me to have a deadline, and just great in general to get out of the United States. However, herein lies the problem: I’m fairly sure it would have to fall semester senior year, which would be around September of next year. I also have family at the city where I would be studying abroad, meaning that I would have to talk to them.

I feel as if I’ve improved a lot in my Spanish recently but it’s a bit difficult to gauge. The most concrete gauge i have is from from the kwiziq progress test, which only measures grammar. 146 days ago, which would be around 5 months, I took the progress level test for the first time. I got a 100% on A0, 79% on A1, 60% on A2, 73% on B1, and 44% on B2. I tested into A2. Around two weeks ago, I retook the progress test under a new account and received a 100% on A0, 100% on A1, 80% on A2, 73% on B1, and 45% on B2. I still tested into A2.

Even recognizing that my vocabulary is still subpar, I also feel as if my speaking has drastically improved, though I have unfortunately only gotten practice in from class.

For further context, I really only picked up intensively studying Spanish again just before summer break, gave up again mid-July, then picked it back up again once the school year started.

If I was consistent in my language learning journey until the study abroad program. what are my chances of being conversational to a degree where I wouldn’t humiliate myself by that point? Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to best go about this? And, of course, should I just give up on this whole thing lol.

Thanks to anybody who replies!

submitted by /u/tonguesofash
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3jI6l2Y
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments