Should I start a new language in college or continue the one I have 4+ years experience with?

I've taken Spanish for 4+ years in school, and I'm going to start college next year; I want to get into International Relations, and obviously being bi/tri/multi lingual is a huge asset. I would like to say I am proficient in Spanish, and I am looking to hopefully become bilingually certified at the end of the year. I say hopefully because I know right now I still have a lot of work to do in terms of speaking quickly and confidently.

The problem is I have very little interest in Spanish culture/history. Would I be opposed to interning somewhere in Spain or a Spanish speaking country? Absolutely not. However, as a self-proclaimed history buff, I am much more interested in learning about Asian countries and their history and culture.

This all begs the question of whether I should start a new and practical language in college or just continue with Spanish. I know that Chinese is a monumental task to learn on every spectrum, but I also feel that this would be incredibly useful to have under my belt if I can master it. The more I think about it, the more I start to realize I can just research and have fun learning about Asian history and culture on my own...but something about learning the language and traveling and seeing things in person sounds awesome to me.

All this being said, I probably contradicted myself a few times in this post because I'm pretty confused on what I want to do at the moment to be honest. The only solid fact I know is that I would like to travel and work on an international level, but this language thing is bugging me. I guess I'm battling with picking a language for practicality vs. personal interest, but I don't really know.

submitted by /u/Laymayo
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3Bipo9U
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments