Late bilingualism

I started learning English when I was 12 in school. I didn’t learn much until I was 16-17. Then I started watching movies, reading books, and listening to radio shows in English. After that, I lived in England, Wales, the USA.

I’ve never stopped learning new words, but I would say that my level of English is above most non-native speaker I know.

I can fully understand people when they speak (unless they’re scousers 😂) and I can speak pretty much about anything.

I write in English every day for my job and my friends are all natives.

However, I feel like there’s always a little barrier that I cannot overcome.

I’m talking about the little nuances of the language that only natives get. Humor, word choice and order etc.

Sometimes I think maybe my intellect is limited and I’ve reached my limit. Others I blame it on not being native.

But it bothers me. I want to be fully bilingual. I probably know more words in my second language than my native one.

I wonder if there are late bilinguals out there. People that started learning a second language later in life but they became fully bilingual. There has to be someone. If you know of someone, I’d love to hear their story. And if it’s you, please let’s have a chat!

I would also love to hear the stories of people in my same situation.

👇

submitted by /u/AAWanderer
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3Gwawsp
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments