Has Language Learning Made Anyone Else More Emapthetic Towards Foreign Students?

This post doesn't really have anything to do with language learning itself, but I was wondering if anyone else had this experience. As a monolingual American (hope to be bilingual in enough time) in high school, before starting Spanish, I never really thought about the fact that the foreign or immigrant students here have to do all these classes in a different tongue than their native ones.

One of my Algebra classmates is from Vietnam and he defenitely seems like a capable student and speaks English well, but I've always noticed it takes him a bit more time to process what the teacher is saying and even with seemingly simple stuff, it takes a little while to respond and get the words out right.

If I didn't study by myself, I probably would have just thought "This is taking a little while, huh," but now, I'm like "Damn, he's doing all this in a second tongue. I can't imagine having to do Algebra in Spanish." I guess I've now got more respect and praise for students like that.

submitted by /u/ValeValeVale0
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3nHLQo0
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments