My wife just passed her C2 French exam

Hi all,

I just wanted to share a success story with you: in our family it's me who is passionate about language learning, but the success here is my wife's. We live in a French-speaking country since 12 years now, and she wants to become a teacher in public schools. A C2 certificate is a prerequisite for that, even if you are not going to teach French (which I think is too much... but anyway). My wife was already fluent in French simply by the long exposure of living here, but I can tell you that DALF still required a lot of study; I don't know if this is particular to the French system, but they are really out to catch you on all the little spelling errors and weird rules of which French is plenty at an advanced level. In order to prepare she spent six months first with an online C2 class at the public university here. It was a decent start, but nowhere near enough. After that, she spent several hours a week simulating the written part of the exam, where they usually ask you to read several articles on a subject and then write a piece on it. She used French and Swiss news media as source of articles and themes, trying to focus on hot topics like Climate Change, Economy, Meat Consumption etc... In the written part of the exam, in the end they were given 6 documents to read and summarize with a specific viewpoint that they needed to defend. It was very hard for the time they had and apparently they all kind of panicked when the examiner said they only had 1 hour left; my wife couldn't proofread it as she would have liked and just at the end realized she hathad written "only" 600 words while they ask for 700. In the oral part they had to more or less defend the same viewpoint on that subject against a commission of two: for my wife they were "good cop and bad cop", one was nodding happily and the other shaking her head with a disgruntled face.

She did it early Sep and the results arrived today... she did not even want to open the email after all the stress and countless hours of preparation, but in the end it was positive! She got a 75/100, the minimum I think is 50, so this is a result to be proud of. I don't want to discourage anyone, but it was really a lot of work and preparation: I consider myself (and local people confirm) to have a very good level of French, but there is NO WAY I could pass this exam without the preparation that my wife did. So... if you plan to do this, be ready to put the hours in and good luck!

submitted by /u/AlAv812
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/39FHzuS
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments