How can I be a better teacher?

Tldr: How can I better help someone develop their understanding of French ?

I'll start with some amusing background information (if you care lol).

[My great-aunt back randomly found a new boyfriend online who lives in the US. She does not speak English but they can communicate in Arabic. The guy is a multi-millionaire (yes, we were very suspicious too) and he seems to be a nice person so far. During one of their conversations, he mentioned that his granddaughter is struggling in her French class and my great-aunt decided to tell him about my sister and I who both speak the language and would (apparently) be willing to help teach her.

After talking to his family, the guy said he would pay me if I helped his granddaughter with her homework and study routine (listening/speaking/reading etc).

My parents decided that it would be a beneficial experience for me since I could practice my English and develop my teaching skills. The guy must like to show off his wealth because he's paying me a ridiculous amount to do this. The house his granddaughter lives in is enormous if you're curious!]

The point:

I've now been working with my "student" twice a week for about a month and I don't feel like I'm making much progress. For the record, she's 18, only speaks English and is in her final year of high school. I'm not sure if this is common for a US school but most of her tests seem to be vocabulary based rather than grammatical. Her listening and reading are so-so but she struggles to form sentences herself.

Most of our lessons currently involve me helping with homework questions she didn't get right and after that I try to converse with her in French to build her confidence.

I suppose I'm asking how I can actually help her get better? Like what can I offer that will supplement what she learns in class (not very much it seems) and help her abilities? Talk at her? I'm not sure. I'm presuming some of you are teachers/tutors and may be able to help me.

She is eager to learn the language properly rather than just get a good grade but I might be out of my depth in that department.

I also invite you to critique my English so I can improve moving forward!

submitted by /u/Sugarain4
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3omdGZc
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments