Advice on maintaining a language and learning a new one

I have been learning Korean for past 14 months and have been studying pretty much daily (average 2-3 hours a day) for the past year. I still have not reached the intermediate level yet. I think I could describe myself as more mid-beginner or upper beginner depending on the skill (reading is upper beginner, speaking is lower due to less practice). Lately however I really have been wanting to start French. I still love Korean but I also really an interested in French and I have people I would actively communicate in it with unlike Korean which is more for just enjoying media/culture.

My ultimate goals are to reach intermediate in Korean and intermediate/advanced in French. As context, I am a native English speaker. I know learning two language at once is not ideal. So I’m wondering what is the best approach? I’m starting to think it might be better to focus more on French while just maintaining my Korean level until French is intermediate and then work on Korean. I could then just immerse and use native content in French while spending my “study” on Korean. That might be faster.

Another option is to keep working on just Korean and just dabble in French but to be honest it might take a while to reach intermediate in Korean. Is it reasonable to reach low intermediate in French in a year with 2 hours of study a day?

Any advice from those that are learning two languages like this would be helpful.

submitted by /u/bmeuphoria
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3meJLPR
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments