Spanish, Catalan, and French in a single semester: too much to handle?

Hello all! I'm currently attending a university in the US with an especially renowned languages department. I went into my freshman year (currently a junior) speaking no French whatsoever, and, after having taken French classes during all four of the semesters I've spent here, I am now at a C1 level (tested B2 last year but have improved since then). I really enjoy learning languages, especially within a classroom setting (I lack the discipline to do so of my own volition), so naturally I've begun considering taking another language (or two).

My father is from Catalunya, Spain, and speaks both Castilian and Catalan. Unfortunately, however, he taught me neither of his mother tongues, and, as such, I'd like to take both languages, as they're both offered at my university. I know much more Spanish than I do Catalan (I'd say I'm a B1 for Spanish and A1 for Catalan).

Would it be stupid to take all three languages - perfecting my French, improving my Spanish, and beginning Catalan - in the same semester? I really want to, but I'm worried it might just preclude me from making any progress in the first place. Also take into consideration the fact that Catalan is essentially a bridge between French and Spanish, so learning it should be quite easy, just as Spanish should prove quite easy considering my having been exposed to it all my life.

submitted by /u/citadelledugel
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3jvLVKU
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments