Languages saved my life

Hey everyone !

I wanted to share my story about language learning and if some learners had some similar experience.

I am a French native and in 2020 I lost my job because of the Covid. As the lockdown start I felt immensely bad for this loss and couldn't find any work. Besides that I've always struggle with anxiety attack and overthinking. With nothing but time on my hand, I decided that I would learn Spanish again, which I studied at school for 8 years but didn't used since 5 years at the time. I wasn't very good at it back in school, A2 or something like that. Besides, it wasn't a class I liked very much.

So in may 2020, I start picking grammar book and manuals to learn it again. However, it didn't went well and I was bored of it quickly. I was also putting a lot of stress to myself for not learning fast enough. In june, I decided to stop using books and just listen to it. Just the sound and it strikes me how beautiful it was. I then decided that I will go on but in a less pragmatic way. I swore that I will never compare my Spanish to a native or my learning speed to someone else. Just enjoying it, not getting stress if there was a word I couldn't understand. This way of treating like a hobby helped me so much. By june 2021, I was able to speak it at a C1 level. I used mostly Italkie, tandem and other ressources. I've start using the same mindset for portuguese since may 2021 and same result. I am at a B2 level already.

As I learned I realised how much pleasure I took on my class and listening to ressources. It became a way to calm anxiety. Listening to Spanish was like a warm hug to me. It brought me also a lot of proudness and made me see myself in a better light. It helped me also taking the decision to try to heal my anxiety. Thanks to this, I have never be so good in my life both personal and professional.

I see a lot of people stugling here and I am in admiration for the hard work lots of you put in your target language. But please never forget to take pleasure in it. Languages are beautiful and have the power to heal, to make you grow as a person. If you feel like giving up, just listen the sound of your TL. I hope it will remind you why you started. Because you admired a culture and wanted to be closer to it. Or because it help you with work. Any good reasons to learn !

Long story short, I would love to see if someone was saved with languages just like myself. I took the decision to never stop learning new languages until my death. I am looking to learn Italian now.

Thanks for reading me ! Bon courage dans votre apprentissage !

submitted by /u/presidentvaljean
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3Ds0mHz
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments