I would like to dedicate the rest of my 20s to language learning. Any advice?

(Age 24 from the USA) I've realized that the only dream I currently have right now is to learn languages. (Currently no dream job, no dream of marriage, kids, physical location, etc.) I'd like to dedicate the rest of my 20s to becoming proficient in a couple languages. I currently have a B.A. in Spanish but still struggle with listening/conversation.

The languages I'd like to learn over the course of my life are Spanish, Korean, Mandarin Chinese, and Japanese. I know this is a lot, so I'd like to just focus primarily on Chinese and Japanese over the next six years. I'm basically a complete beginner in these.

I'd like to use my language abilities to interact and have friendships with people from other countries. So no need to use it for academia or a career.

I'm currently unemployed and living with my parents and I'm looking to get a job and move out. $20k in savings, -$26k in federal student loan debt.

Any recommendations on what type of job to get and where to move to?

Should I get any decent-paying job in the US and then just dedicate the rest of my time to online study and Italki tutors?

Try to support myself by working in Chinese restaurants/stores?

Teach English abroad?

Get a student visa and then try to stay afloat financially with part-time work?

Something else that I haven't thought of?

I'd like to give language learning my best shot while still relatively young and then focus on figuring out my career later. The career I've considered the most is teaching, so I'd be fine trying to break into that in my 30s after focusing on language learning for a few years.

I'd appreciate any advice and life-plan ideas, no matter how weird/normal they are!

submitted by /u/TheSweetOnion
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/2YeImjX
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments