Have you used videogames to practice your target language? Share your story!

For me, it was "TES IV: Oblivion", its French version. At that moment (summer 2013), I had one year of French at school and one year of listening to podcasts and reading books behind me. After having played "Oblivion" in my native language (Russian), I knew the game quite well, so I could focus on the language component. From the interface to in-game books, I tried to benefit from it as much as I could. But nothing could compare with dialogues!

  • Voiced by actors, they allow not only to listen to native speakers, but to train your comprehension of different accents.
  • Being interactive, they make you focus. It's not a movie where you can sit back and relax, you can't afford missing the point of the quest.
  • At the same time, you can go at your own pace - when the NPC stops talking, you can re-read what they've just said, check the dictionary, etc.
  • There are a lot of generic characters, dialogues with whom are in some way repetitive. And repetition is exactly what we need to revise the new vocabulary and to reinforce sentence-building patterns, right?

There is an obvious downside: quite a bit of the vocabulary is not very relevant. After all, the conversation in the bar on a Friday night is usually not about enchanted melee weapons. When I want to upgrade my outfit, I don't go to "Divine Elegance" to buy a pair of huntsman leather pants. And I would hardly be able to maintain my real-life diet in Tamriel... Still, there is so much everyday vocabulary in between those medieval/fantasy terms that it keeps the experience useful language-wise.

What about you? Share your story!

submitted by /u/mikcf
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/38oo60Y
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments