Was Serbo-Croatian the lingua franca of Yugoslavia?

I'm not sure if there's a more appropriate place for this question, so here I am.

I've been fascinated by the post-Yugoslav states for awhile, and I've been thinking about learning a language from the country to spend a few months living and traveling through some of them. Some googling tells me that Sebro-Croatian was the most spoken L1 and should get me through Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia, and Montenegro, but not Slovenia, North Macedonia, or Kosovo.

My questions are:

  • Is Serbo-Croatian spoken as an L2 in Slovenia, North Macedonia, and Kosovo enough for me to be able to get along?
  • Since it looks like the Serbian dialect has the most resources, am I likely to run into problems if I speak with a Serbian accent in Bosnia or Kosovo?
  • I'm learning Ukrainian right now. Is Ukrainian similar enough to Serbo-Croatian to make it easier to become conversational?
submitted by /u/WantDebianThanks
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3lcPTci
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments