Chinese or German? :(

I've never posted on this subreddit but I need some help.

So I go to a high school that teaches both Chinese and German, and I decided to take both of them because my schedule was able to fit it in. I am currently a senior and going into my 4th year of Chinese and 5th of German, but today I learned that I am no longer able to fit both into my schedule since both are during the same class period. I love both of these languages equally and genuinely can't make a decision or just "replace" one like my school counselor says I can easily do. I contacted all of my language teachers and they can't help me either. So I've come to reddit to help me list the pros and cons since I can't rationalize this on my own as of right now.

In college I'm planning on majoring in German with a minor in Chinese and Korean. I'm way more advanced in German than I am Chinese, so if I take German I can stay at that level, but I probably won't be able to keep my progress in Chinese as I don't have anyone to speak at home with. If you're from the US, these are also AP classes, so I can take the final exams in the classes for college credit. If I take Chinese, I may still have the opportunity to do the German AP exam along with the Chinese AP exam, even if I'm not in the class. I would also probably lose some friends as they would think I just quit German out of nowhere, even though this isn't the case. I'm in both National German and Chinese Honor's Societies and again I love these languages equally with a burning passion. I'm not sure if I can use one of my free periods as an independent study. It also sucks because I'm a peer tutor for German and I'm not sure if I would be able to keep my spot as that and in NGHS if I choose Chinese, or if I can keep my spot in NCHS if I choose German. Thank you for listening to my rant.

tldr; need some advice on whether to continue in my 5th year of German or continue my 4th year of Chinese.

submitted by /u/OhohohoEinGeschenk
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3yd3Uuv
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments