Should I use captions in target language or no (media audio is in target language)

I hope that makes sense. I’m a native English speaker learning Spanish. My comprehension is good when the speakers are speaking slowly, but with typical speed I struggle a lot to catch what they’re saying (even in English I sometimes struggle with understanding when distractions/other audio/accents are involved, think it’s an auditory processing thing, at least with English).

I’ve been reading a novel in Spanish, and for my media I’ve been listening to the duolingo Spanish podcast. They speak pretty slowly so I understand just fine.

However I’ve also been watching TV in Spanish. The show I’m watching has Spanish closed captions so I can read along in Spanish with what the characters are saying. This improves my comprehension 10 fold, but I worry it is inhibiting my ability to learn to have LISTENING comprehension.

What do yall think? Does it help to have the closed captions or hinder the learning process?

submitted by /u/waking_dream96
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3waDrM6
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments