How to help my cousins (12, 7) learn English when they move here?

throwaway account

Next year my aunt may move with her 2 children (around 12 and 7 then) to live with us in the southeast US, from Japan. My aunt and her husband wanted them to move to the US for 3~4 years so they could give their kids more experience of the world. The husband regularly travels/lives abroad for work, and my aunt used to backpack in her 20s before settling.

My aunt lived in Australia for some months long ago so she can pick up English again, she used to speak it. My uncle's staying in Japan for work. However my 2 cousins have lived only in Japan. They "teach" English in school, but they basically speak no English.

I'm in my last year of college, but I'll be here for a few months after graduating (then move abroad myself) when they come next year. I'm fluent in English and Japanese (and B2 German, but obv I'm not gonna give them anki decks to do lol). I also have younger siblings who speak English and Japanese, as well as my mom, who they will live with.

I'm wondering how I can help them learn English and make the adjustment to coming here easier. I think the younger one will be fine, but worried how well the older will be able to pick up English since she's not so young.

submitted by /u/familypoggersanon2
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/2U8Opoc
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments