How do you start learning a foreign language?

Hey, I’ve started learning a language and was already interested in learning a foreign language for quite a while, however it seems that it’s way harder then I expected. I just don’t know how to start… I tried learning the same way I learned English (using a Vocabulary, writing down words and practice them after), but that just doesn’t really work that well and it takes a lot of time and effort. I know that reading books or watching stuff in the language you’re trying to learn helps a lot, but how can I achieve the level to even understand what they’re saying, because I can’t understand a word they’re saying (same goes for reading). Even though I actually did that watching foreign movies and foreign YouTubers method when “learning” English, I could already speak and understand English... it was more like Improving my English. I’m not asking for an easy way as there probably is no easy way for learning a foreign language (however if there is one, please tell me lol), but maybe some tips or how you started.

I’m from Austria and I speak German and English. I’m trying to learn a “easier” language, right now I’m focused on Dutch, however, I tried French before, but those silent letters confuse me too much. (I have no friends who speak those languages)

And here’s why I want to learn a foreign language: To chat and talk to strangers (I chat a lot) and for future travelling.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks for reading.

submitted by /u/WeddingTemporary4808
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3h1meAB
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments