Has anyone here tried a language immersion program? Did it work for you? Did you do one abroad or in your country?

I (American- f22) want to take a year after college (I have 1.5 years left) to just really focus on becoming fluent in French (I’m minoring in) and Mandarin (I took for years in high school). I plan to do 6 month language immersion for each (if that’s possible?) I’ve realized that it’s challenging for me to learn a foreign language while having a busy student, work, & social life all in English. This is why I think language immersion would be the best for me. I’ve never even heard of it until recently, does anyone have any tips for me? Should I achieve a certain level of language comprehension before beginning? About how much money should I save before beginning an abroad program? Can student loans be applied towards this? What are some good, legit language immersion programs? How do they work?

Just some extra details:

I would like to start with a language immersion program in France, and I’m comfortable with going over to temporarily live in Europe since my brother lives in Germany, so I’ll have family relatively close by (he is trilingual, so I can still “immerse” as he is fluent in French). I’m only adding this detail, because it makes going off to a whole new country/continent seem a bit more practical lol. Also, I’m an international studies major so I’m dying to experience more of the world and live abroad (I’ve lived in my small American town my WHOLE life) - especially while I’m young and in my 20s. I’ve also heard time and time again that you should spend your 20s developing as many skills as you can- and that’s what I want to do.

submitted by /u/lolanonomgba
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3dsb7OO
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments