Complications with my native tongues - how does one (re?)learn them?

So I'm a speaker of both Hindi and Odia as my native tongues.

My Hindi is still in good shape, though it's been whittled ever so slightly with time. Speaking English is more convenient for most things so it takes me like a second more to read Hindi script and I sometimes stumble for a brief moment recalling words. It feels like my language is all around me and yet, because of lockdown, very slowly slipping away, and English is just taking over. I think trying to listen to Hindi language media might help recall everything and get reacquainted fully.

My Odia on the other hand.... has never been very good. I learnt it simply from exposure in everyday life. I only have quite a limited vocabulary, which works for everyday things but many words in "higher" contexts escape me. I've never learned the script and so can't read or write it, only speak and listen. This problem is considerably more difficult to solve because I don't live in an Odia-speaking area anymore. How do I go about learning the script and being able to speak more words?

I've wanted to do this for a while, but I learned Spanish in school (that too is rusty now, and at B2 level) and am currently learning Dutch. Learning many languages at once is never a good idea, so do I have to give up on one of these? Or perhaps since I do know the foundations of everyday Odia and only need to learn the script and more vocabulary, it's okay?

Thought I'd ask for this sub's thoughts/advice.

submitted by /u/modisarkaarchorhai
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3dLGh43
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments