Which College Foreign Language?

I'm going to be entering college this fall and am currently in the process of registering for classes. I need to figure out what foreign language to take for 2, possibly 3 semesters.

Background: I have been taking Spanish in school for the past 5 years. For the first 3 I learned absolutely nothing and then took up learning Spanish on my own and quickly became fairly proficient in the language. I'm by no means close to fluency but I might be B2. I took the AP Spanish test this year (Scored 1-5. If I get a 1-2 I don't get college credit. 3 = 1 Spanish course. 4 = 2 Spanish courses. 5 = 4 Spanish courses) but I am entirely sure that AT MOST I got a 3, so I'll have to take foreign language in college for 2 or 3 semesters.

I'm trying to figure out what to do and here are my options:

  1. Take Spanish: The big problem with this is that I won't know my AP Score until July so I won't be able to sign up for Spanish in college until then (If I got college credit I'd be starting in a higher level class). The other issue is that I'd be learning very beginner stuff that I'm already familiar with whereas I just need practice and to use the language. I feel like it would just be a waste of my time, even if it's a free grade.
  2. Mandarin: Would love to learn Mandarin and I have learned a little on my own. I just don't know how well it would lend itself to a classroom given that much of the language is just rote memorization rather than conjugation and complex grammar.
  3. Something else (Y'all give me ideas)

So yea. Let me know your opinion

submitted by /u/SupresedKillerX
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/2Topyfz
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments