Making fun of people's accents or broken language

I've always thought that this behavior was very rude, but since I've learned a second language to near fluency and lived outside the US longterm, I've gained a whole new perspective on it. Overall, my experience living abroad was extremely positive, but I'll never forget the first time I was on the other end of the table; arriving in a foreign country, struggling to do basic things because my language wasn't strong, being laughed, being taken advantage of, feeling utterly lost, confused, and alone.

Most people who have lived in their own country, speaking their native language, for their entire lives, have NO IDEA the immense bravery it takes to move to an entirely new place and live and work in another language. And as a student, I had the tremendous privilege of embarking on this experience for the express purpose of language learning, rather than economic necessity, fleeing from a dangerous environment, joining family members, and the many other compelling reasons people immigrate to other countries. Over these years of language learning, I have gained major new respect for immigrants.; you rock, we salute you, and if we're smart, we'll learn from your experiences <3

submitted by /u/Few_Monitor_2170
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/2TtiApJ
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments