Documenting my entire language learning journey month by month

Hello language learning community of Reddit! I thought I'd write this post and update it every so often just to give people motivation if they are struggling with language learning or if they're interested in having a rough guide (if all is successful on my end)

Background: So I'm a Native English speaker from the UK, 19 years old and like most people in the English speaking world, always sucked at acquiring another language besides English. Of course I did spanish, French in school but I absolutely cannot speak them at all. Other than school I've also attempted to self-learn German but gave up after maybe 3 or 4 months (even though I made good progress with it, just burnt out and didn't have motivation anymore) So around two months ago I stumbled across various youtubers and got the language learning bug again. I learned about guys such as Steven krashen, khatz who created the AJATT/MIA method and matt vs Japan. I had this surge of motivation that overtook me so I decided to challenge myself. That even though I was full time military and didn't have huge amounts of free time that I would learn Japanese, no ifs or buts. I got interested in Japanese for the challenge of it, a language that was so different from my own and seeing guys like matt and khatz was a huge motivation for me that it was possible. So I'm learning Japanese and acquiring a second language properly, no ifs or buts...

Month 1: beginning to build the foundations So here's my first monthly update, so far I've gotten myself into a good routine (1 hour of active study a day with the rest being passive listening wherever I can) the resources I've been using have been YouTube channels like Japanese ammo with misa, and some other random videos here and there. Alongside that I've been using Memrise for some vocab and I've been building a sentence deck with Anki that I add to everyday and review when required. My spare time has been filled with watching Japanese series and listening to music and podcast, like 4 to 5 hours worth a day... I use Japanese subtitles to enhance reading comprehension. I don't understand much of anything but it's getting me used to how things sound and also I can pick out the sentence structure and recognise some words. So to conclude with month 1 and the progress so far. I'm completely comfortable with both Hiragana and Katakana, I know the basic grammar and sentence structure and can express basic ideas, such as wanting to go somewhere, asking people if they want to go places, make comments on the weather, ask questions about people's age and where they are from, and also answer those questions, I also know a lot of basic everyday expressions and know random vocabulary here and there and I'm already quite surprised at how quickly I'm picking things up!

I'll write back next month with the next update!

submitted by /u/Rtas00
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3wOckXN
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments