A couple questions for fluent Japanese speakers

At the moment, I'm fluent in 4 different languages (English, Russian, Ukrainian, Spanish) and have decided to take on what I expect to be my biggest challenge yet. (No it's not because of anime, the reason is even more 'weeb' than you think.)

My questions for the people that are already fluent (be it native speakers or someone else who learned, I'm interested in hearing from both)...

Would I be correct in assuming that unlike when I learned Spanish, my prior knowledge of Russian will be completely useless? It seems to me that the grammatical structure is completely different than most other languages and I'd be pretty much on equal ground with someone who say just speaks English.

Another assumption I'm making is that writing and reading will be a challenge on it's own. Kenji seems like a very complicated format that will require a lot of memorization. While I do wish to eventually achieve fluency, I consider learning to speak/listen a higher priority than writing/reading, and think it's generally easier to learn 'one thing at a time' than try to tackle everything at once. Would it be unwise to simply take all my notes in Romaji until I'm comfortable enough with the syntax and vocabulary to move on to the next step? Would I just be making it harder on myself in the long haul or is this a feasible plan?

I would also like advice on resources from someone that has successfully taught themselves. (I'm not willing to sign up for any classes. I wanna just be able to download something I can work with by myself on my own time.) I was thinking Rosetta Stone but after doing a bit of research, the consensus seems to be that it's overall a good program but their teaching style is incompatible for this language structure. Definitely would prefer something audio based but whatever gets the job done. And yes I am willing to pay for a quality product.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

submitted by /u/1337letics
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3c5kvap
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments