Rant: Nobody on Language Exchange Apps wants to talk. What are they doing?

I've just spent the evening trying to get about 12 people to have a voice conversation with me. I had a good text conversation with a few of them, others were very brief or not very engaged. Here's a run down:

  1. One person on HelloTalk posted a message saying she wanted to talk. She agrees she wants to talk in chat, then disappears.
  2. One guy, we have a great text talk, I get some podcast recommends. I ask if we can talk. Turns out he's doing paperwork and doesn't have the time.
  3. TMy favorite: broken English text conversation for a while. I ask if she wants to have a call, she says no, her English isn't good enough. I tell her we can talk in her language for a while and she says, "but I want to learn English!" She ghosts me.
  4. One woman finally writes me back. She doesn't have time buy earnestly tries to schedule a time with me. Fair.
  5. One woman in China who is learning English (NL) and Spanish (TL). I think this could be very interesting but I can't get her on the phone.
  6. Another: I can't tonight, but we can try another day. No discussion of scheduling.
  7. Very brief text exchange. I send an audio in TL. Ghosted.
  8. Someone had to go to bed (which was fair, it was late where she was).
  9. Someone else posted they wanted to chat. I respond in 5 minutes. Ghosted.

Then a bunch of people that never wrote back at all (probably about 8).

One woman had an account for over a year, and her English was still very basic. I honestly don't understand the motivations of the people using these apps.

submitted by /u/MoCapBartender
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3aMT98b
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments