Is putting Spanish on the backburner hurting my proficiency?

Hello all! Long time lurker, first post here.

Some background: I'm 4 years out of high school, where I took 2 years of Spanish class and became conversational. At my peak, I could read Spanish at about a 6th grade level, and speak and write it at maybe a 3rd grade level. A month ago, I decided to pick up learning Mandarin.

I haven't been actively trying to learn Spanish since then, but I still use it: I have a Spanish speaking video game group, and I hang out on quite a few Spanish speaking corners of the internet. But as of this month, I've found myself choking on my words as I try to speak it and always being 20 seconds behind trying to listen to it.

I've read the FAQ about learning two languages at once, but I don't think that's very accurate to my situation because I'm not really trying to go full speed ahead with my Spanish learning at the moment, I'd just like tips on how not to lose it and have to start over from square one. To use the term that the FAQ uses: how do I properly put my Spanish into "language maintenance mode"?

Thank you for reading :)

submitted by /u/CrazyM4n
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3xrHt4M
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments