Should I stop learning or maintaining a language?

Usually people talk about whether they should START learning a language but I couldn't find much about whether or when to STOP learning one.

I think about this question for a long time now so I'd like to hear some opinions or some advice.

Here is my problem:

I had to take french in school because our education system says so. Since I wanted to be a good student I did my homework and even participated in a student exchange program which my school offered. After seven years I reached B2 level, the target level of our school system. But I never liked the french language, tbh I almost hated it. I neither like the language nor the french culture. Thus if I could have decided I'd never would have learned french in the first place. So after school I stoped maintaining my french and naturally forgot a lot.

Ever since I wonder if I should restart learning french again, or at least maintain what I still can. I think I might still have a solid B1 level. I love learning language in general and started to learn a few languages which I had a strong interest in during the last years. But I don't want to become some "Jack of all trades - Master of non" - language learner who puts quantity above quality.

As B1/B2 is a quite advanced language level and even considering I forgot a lot of vacabulary, wouldn't it be a shame to decide to stop maintaining my french, to decide to forget everything I had to learn and instead focus on other languages I like more?

Additionally I live quite close to the french and swiss border, so it's a language that I could actually need in the future.

What do you think? Has maybe someone had a similar experience?

submitted by /u/Winternacht-
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3wjfm7g
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments