should i learn two languages at the same time?

tl;dr: i need to become fluent in Dutch within the next few years for my career. i would like to continue studying Italian to speak to my relatives, but pausing to study Dutch instead will result in forgetting the language. should I study both at the same time?

I am a native English speaker. I want to become fluent in Dutch and Italian and am wondering if I should learn both at the same time or one after the other.

I plan on studying clinical psychology at a Dutch university and pursuing a career in the Netherlands. I will need to become fluent in Dutch to work as a healthcare professional. I am three years away from applying to graduate programs so I figure now is a good time to start learning the language.

I am of Italian heritage with many relatives living in Italy. Most of them speak English but I’d love to communicate with them in Italian, and it is a beautiful language. I studied Italian for six years and unfortunately gave up when I began attending university. I was almost fluent, with the exception of some vocabulary. It’s only been three years since I stopped practicing but I can barely hold a conversation. Do you think it would be relatively easy to relearn what I previously knew? Italian is a lesser priority than Dutch but the longer I go without practicing, the more of it I will forget.

I recently downloaded Duolingo to practice both languages. Dutch is easy so far and I really enjoy speaking it. I recognize most of the Italian so far but it is pretty hazy. I’ve heard that watching foreign movies/tv shows is a good way to learn a language, and might enroll in some language courses at my university. What are some other ways to learn languages?

submitted by /u/Love_Asparagus420
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3w7EsWu
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments