Learning different language affecting native language?

Gonna preface this by saying I know this sounds stupid and I'm very aware it's gonna sound like I'm just trying to be quirky or something, but I genuinely just want to know this is another common language thing. I know that sometimes temporarily forgetting words and phrases from your native language as you learn a second is a common and observed thing. However this is a tad bit different, and my friends have teased me enough as to where I want some info to be able to present them with next time.

English is my first language, with Spanish as my (somewhat fluent) second. I've experienced the aforementioned little mix-ups between languages that come with the territory. No biggie. However, my in-progress third language is Swedish, and here is where my brain short circuits.

Swedish pronunciation has been rather difficult for me to get a hold of, resulting in me heavily immersing myself in hearing swedish and repeating sounds of the language more strenuously than I had to do for Spanish (I grew up really close with a Spanish speaking family so I've always heard it). A while back, I noticed that the way I talk in English has been slightly affected. Particularly with the "oo" sound. Words like "soup" and "YouTube" with that sound are now being said with a 'y' before the sound, so soup becomes "syoup", and YouTube becomes "YouTyube." This has been going on for the better part of a year now, even after I paused my swedish studies. Beyond the occasional joke at my pronunciation, I haven't really thought much about it until a week or so ago, when passing a sign for Ruby Falls, when trying to talk about it my brain just about imploded as I started to say Ruby and realized that something was really off with what I was saying and I was trying to somehow correct myself as I was saying it. After a few more tries, I realized the way I say ruby now is more like "ryoob-yeh" which is completely nonsensical and not swedish at all and I'm very confused.

So does anyone have some info on why my native language is being impacted so heavily like this? Does this also fall under language attrition or is this something different? Spanish didn't do this to me at all, so the only thing I can think of as a cause is that I was having so much trouble with swedish to begin with that it overcompensated and malfunctioned somewhere along the way? Is it a brain tumor?? Help me so I don't feel so cringed out by my own speaking please, if I know there's a scientific phrase for this I'll feel way better.

Thank you!

submitted by /u/GrimBumble
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/31wU1ZS
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments