Is it efficient to learn a language the “fun way”?

I’ve learned a few Languages, such as English, Japanese, and German to fluency, so I do have a bit of experience with them.

I’ve been thinking about learning more languages for fun. How efficient would it be to do it a different way than normal.

For example, let’s say I wanted to learn a Germanic language. From my month of research, Old English, Old Frisian, Old Norse, and Old High German were all somewhat mutually intelligible, or they could at least get their point across. So could you go backwards in time with the English language, learn one of the similar sister languages, and learn forward?

Here’s and example:

Modern English>Early Modern English>Middle English>Old English/Anglo-Saxon>Old High German>Middle High German>Modern German

submitted by /u/kaedanthekiller
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3lVCi7K
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments