Your memory is better than you think! If you fall off the bandwagon getting back to where you were isn't impossible!

I have been learning Spanish and then French for about 5 or so years. Since the pandemic my life has changed a lot and I dropped studying them both entirely for over a year. This last month I've picked up again and have been rereading my grammar books and redoing 10,000 frequency words in each language on memrise (strict typing). The grammar came back relatively quickly but it did take some time and I was certainly rusty and lacked the speed I had before. The vocab on the other hand seems to be cemented deep into my neurons. I got 88% correct of the 10000 in spanish and 85% correct in french leaving only a bit over 1000 words in each language I forgot (and the majority of those I got close to but missed an accent or typed a similar word).

I am definitely below average in my language learning ability with minimal exposure to anything other than English as a child so be assured that all is not lost if life gets in the way for a while... get back on the horse (etc etc other metaphors).

Looking forward to starting some new tv series!

submitted by /u/redditpeep210
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/2MoW7af
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments