What's the best way to get back and improve on my native language?

I'm thinking more and more that I should do what I can to get back and improve on my Korean recently, and want to get more productive with retaining that knowledge.

A little about me: I was born in South Korea, my family moved to Los Angeles in October 2002 just three days after I turned 8 years old (3rd grade), and even though I had a lot of Korean friends in my town throughout grade school, we all spoke English as our primarily language but would speak in Korean to Korean friends' parents. Then from about 10th grade and up, the majority of my friends were made up of fellow Americans (white, some Koreans, Hawaiian Japanese, Armenians, etc.), but didn't have Korean friends' parents I'd speak to. At this stage in my life, the only person I speak Korean to is my mom. Even my brother and I prefer to communicate in English. We both started our careers in American companies in the Bay Area and Los Angeles. Interestingly, my brother is much more fluent in Korean as he spent all of grade school with "FOBs," or immigrants that still spoke their native language with their friends. When I speak to my mom in Korean, I really have to mix in a fair amount of words in English that I don't know the Korean counterpart to convey myself. My mother and I had a bit of a challenge communicating with each other when I was growing up because I didn't know how to convey my feelings or thoughts in Korean while she couldn't speak much English at all, and felt very limited in sharing my thoughts with her.

I don't want my Korean to fade anymore. I want to start by watching some Korean news and trying to get some of the fluency and vocabulary back, but it's going to be hard. I don't understand 40-50% of what they're actually saying, I just know broadly what they're speaking about and might make out the meaning by its context.

For people in my shoes, what's the best way to (accelerate) getting back and improving on my native language?

Thank you so much for the help!

submitted by /u/scarzncigarz
[link] [comments]

from Language Learning https://ift.tt/3aV3cJ6
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments