What data should I track while reading a book in my target language ?

Tl;dr: I am about to start reading Harry Potter in Spanish as a beginner and native french speaker. I want to track the data of my reading to measure improvement. I thought of tracking how many words I look up per page, and how much time I spend on a page. Do you have other ideas of data worth tracking when reading ?

Here's some background about my learning. I had Spanish lessons in school as a teen for about 6 years. From what I can recall I was able to have some basic conversation, but that's all I remember (I had no interest in the language at the time). After finishing high school, I gave up entirely on Spanish, and have decided to pick it up again recently, 8 years after quitting. My level is now in a very strange spot, with some fair degree of "intuitive" comprehension from what I have learned years ago and I suspect mostly from the similarities with french, and a lot of blank spaces where I forgot some extremely basic things. Beginner material is too easy, but intermediate is too hard for my scattered random knowledge.
I am currently looking to integrate the language by repeated exposure (and looking up things I don't know as I go), rather than studying textbooks and the like. I think that by doing this I can expect to encounter a lot of the core elements of vocab and grammar I am missing, and I will study them as spot them. I am likely to pick up some more structured ressources later when I feel like doing so.

I recently bought Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal. At the current state, my vocabulary is incredibly lacking, and I have to look up dozens of words per page (that's...a lot..). I initially gave up but then figured I actually want to attempt to push through, treating this as active studying rather than leisure reading. My plan is to look up the words that I don't know, make anki card for what seems important and track the number of words I look up per page. Also track the time I spend reading each page to see as I go how this evolves. Do you have ideas about other data that might be worth tracking ? Or advice on how to go about this ? I have read people saying not to look up the words if I can still get the gist of the sentence, what would be your take on this ?

I am aware this might not be the most efficient way of learning, but at the current moment I cannot find motivation for some more "structured" grammar and vocab studying of Spanish, so rather than do nothing I want to attempt this ! : )

Cheers and happy learning !

submitted by /u/uglycakefrosting
[link] [comments]

from Ẹ káàbọ̀ https://ift.tt/3ps6msy
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments