Memorizing vocabulary faster by using GIFs as visual cues?

I recently came across a trick for remembering new words. I wanted to share it to see if anyone else has tried it, or would be interested in trying it out.

When you encounter a new word, try to pick one single image which, to you, best reflects that word. You can pick any image, either online or from your personal pictures. You can then use this image as a cue to remember the word.

The mere action of searching, comparing, and finally picking the image creates a visual and emotional connection to the word. Your brain can rely on this personal cue you've chosen, as well as the vivid memory of the process you went through. Both automatically increase your chances of recalling the word. It might seem like more effort, but it's the effort itself that makes memorization easier!

I'm curious – has anyone tried this idea of using custom visual cues? And if so, did you find it helpful?

Personally, I wanted to make the process easier for me, so I've built a small app prototype (I'm a developer). I decided to use GIFs instead of images, to create an even stronger emotional bond (plus, it's more fun!). I've integrated Giphy search to make it super easy to find the right GIFs. I also added memory games to recall the word/GIF pairs you've selected.

Happy to share the app if anyone is interested – just let me know in comments.

submitted by /u/edsioufi
[link] [comments]

from Ẹ káàbọ̀ https://ift.tt/36t3apf
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments