I Don't Know if I Can roll my Rs or Not

So, I'm German and I take Spanish in school.

It's not too hard for me, but I just don't dare to raise my hand in class to actually speak Spanish or read out loud.

I just feel too embarressed of my horrible pronounciation of every word that has a "R" in it. (And as you know: quite a lot of them do.) While I know that this is stupid, I just can't change it.

Therefore, I tried to solve the problem by just learning how to do it.

I made multible exercises and sometimes I think they worked, but I'm just not sure!

It still does feel really similar to how I'd normally try to roll my "Rs".

While I normally can't even HEAR the sound difference between my attempt to roll my r and another person actually rolling theirs (although I know that there is one), it seems impossible for me when trying to hear it on myself!

The problem is that I CAN make an "r" sound with my tounge that doesn't sound very similar to how I normally would do my not rs, but I know for a fact that it is not "rolled".

I just can't hear the difference!

The internet says that the rolled "R" is made with the tip of the tongue and in the moments where I THINK that I manged to roll mine it's only very close to the actual tip. Does this mean I did it wrong? If so, how DO I know I, if made it the right way?

Also: Could somebody please try to explain or make clear whats the difference between a "normal" r, a "normal r" that is produced with the tongue and an ACTUALLY rolled r?

That would be very kind and would help me so extremly much!

I really hope this text is understandable and you get what I'm trying to say, I think I really phrased it weird.

Since I'm not a Native English speaker I'd also appreciate grammar and spelling corrections on this text, if you want to.

Thank you so much

submitted by /u/rrabea
[link] [comments]

from Ẹ káàbọ̀ https://ift.tt/3oxCJ80
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments