Best (informal) way to learn Spanish as a fluent L2 Portuguese speaker?

I live in a place with a large Spanish-speaking population, and I've always regretted not choosing to study Spanish while in school. I'd like to start learning now.

I taught myself Portuguese many years ago, when I had time to devote to rigorous language-learning each day. Now that I'm older and working full-time, I can't commit to "traditional" language study, but I would like to see if I can come up with a way to pick up a reasonable amount of Spanish. I already understand probably 50-75% of what I hear, depending on the context (and I understand even more if it's written rather than spoken). I can also manage a low-level conversation without too much effort. However, what I strongly lack are:

(1) Most vocabulary that doesn't translate to a direct cognate in Portuguese (though I do know the absolute most common words unique to Spanish).

(2) Understanding of verb conjugation that diverges from Portuguese. In particular, I notice a lot more reflexive verb use in Spanish, and in a wider scope of situations. I also notice more preposition use between auxiliary verbs and infinitives (e.g. in Portuguese I'd say "Vou falar com ela", but in Spanish it would be "Voy a hablar con ella"). I can understand these things when I encounter them, but I don't know the rules and therefore can't follow them.

I've started doing minimal-effort things like listening to Spanish music and trying to note patterns, but what I wonder is: are there any good Spanish-learning resources targeted toward Portuguese speakers? Anything that will just pick up from that base and point out explicitly what's different? I think I could benefit a lot from something like that, but I'm open to any advice at all!

Bonus question: Any tips on making sure the Spanish doesn't overwrite the Portuguese in my brain? Learning Portuguese literally obliterated my Latin, because I didn't know any better. I'd be really sad to see a decline in my Portuguese through picking up Spanish and want to figure out how to preserve both.

submitted by /u/ardent_asparagus
[link] [comments]

from Ẹ káàbọ̀ https://ift.tt/2MkK25H
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments