Why is accent very important in European languages?

Hi, sorry if this is an ignorant question, I didn't really know how to phrase it.

But I've just been curious about this for a while and the difference between the importance of accents with English speakers and other languages, particularly European languages.

For instance, I recently watched a video of a man speaking very fluent French, and some of the comments from French people were saying "he speaks well, his accent is just not quite" "or he needs to work on his accent". I usually see this sentiment quite a lot with native speakers of German, Italian, Portugese, etc. There is a strong emphasis on the accent. Do you know why that is?

In english, accent doesn't really seem to be that big of a deal. For instance in America, I've never heard anyone say to a non native speaker, your American accent needs to be better, or "yeah you speak english but your accent is not quite." I can't even imagine someone telling my Nigerian friend that he needs to work on his accent, and he should sound more American, it would be very un politically correct, and some would even call that person racist. It seems in English, as long as you speak well, your accent doesn't matter, but in some other languages accents are very important.

Btw I'm not saying either is better than the other, or telling someone to improve their accent is bad. I'm just curious as to what causes the difference.

submitted by /u/jetsetvision
[link] [comments]

from Ẹ káàbọ̀ https://ift.tt/3hk1RNw
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments