250 hours of non-subtitled Netflix

250 hours of non-subtitled Netflix

Context: I really enjoy listening to podcasts in my TL (Spanish), but felt that I was reaching the point of diminishing returns and so wanted a new challenge.

So, a few months ago I switched nearly entirely to Netflix.

I started off with Mexican shows, since this is the dialect that I am most comfortable with. After about ~30 hours with Mexican tv, I focused on Colombian shows, Argentinian tv, took a failed detour to Chile, and now am binging Spanish tv.

General observations:

  • Mexican telenovelas provide such a fantastic entry point. Shout out to El señor de los cielos.
  • Once I got comfortable with two different dialects (Mexican and Colombian), Argentina and Spain became pretty straightforward.
  • Chilean, Caribbean and Andalucian are still pretty scary for me haha.
  • Series > Movies. More time to adjust to a particular accent.
  • My comprehension is still far from perfect; I probably average somewhere between 4 and 5 using this evaluation on the Refold site.

Finally, here is a breakdown by country:

https://preview.redd.it/jkjcyz7cn7861.png?width=268&format=png&auto=webp&s=758c4d0c72ba991da4bdabc5d4b413debdb26846

Next steps:

  • Continue listening and watching. I suspect that this I am still early in the journey; there is still significant improvement for every 50 hours.
  • Now that I've proven to myself that I can comfortably watch TV in my TL, I'll probably change my input distribution from 90% Netflix and 10% podcasts to 30% Netflix/70% podcasts. I just fundamentally prefer audio-only formats to TV.
submitted by /u/naridimh
[link] [comments]


from Ẹ káàbọ̀ https://ift.tt/38MUpqa
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments