Things are finally starting to click

I wrote a post a while ago about not being able to pick up a language as fast as others, mostly due to having dyslexia and having issues distinguishing sounds and remembering vocab, and every time I would watch TV shows with subtitles and audio in my target language I would get overwhelmed because I couldn’t distinguish the words/keep up with the subtitles. I also picked Swedish to learn, and although their grammatical structures are similar to English, Swedes tend to have a tendency to speak quickly and slur a lot of their words together, as well as drop sounds in order to make things more casual.

Over the past couple of nights I binge watched Kärlek och Anarki (Love and Anarchy) on Netflix. I used English subtitles with Swedish audio, but I realised that I was able to pick out a lot more Swedish words than I thought I could. For a while after I watched the episodes, it was like I was in a sort of “Swedish mode”, where I felt like I could talk in Swedish to other people. In my daily Duolingo practices (I use it more as an accountability tool to make me at least do something everyday), I am able to spell words based on how they sound, as opposed to the words as a whole. This leads me to be able to spell words I am unfamiliar with—something I really struggle with due to my dyslexia, even in English!

I guess I just wanted to celebrate that I’m finally seeing concrete progress after almost a year of consistent learning. I’m still slow at coming up with sentences myself, but my reading and listening comprehension has steadily got better, particularly over the last month or so. I don’t like talking about stuff like this to my friends, so here is the only place I feel comfortable to talk about it :-) Thanks if you’ve made it this far.

submitted by /u/plutolympics
[link] [comments]

from Ẹ káàbọ̀ https://ift.tt/39hftqR
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments