Incomprehensible Input? A few questions

Hi everyone,

I recently watched this Matt vs. Japan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeOmc1nRGG4 video about incomprehensible input. I have always found this to be an interesting approach, since I find that comprehensible input at my level (about mid A2) is super boring, and I'd rather TRY to engage with something I find actually interesting vs. fully understand something I actually understand.

Has anyone tried engaging and using incomprehensible input methods, and if so, what exactly did you do? Did you take notes, relisten to the same audio over and over, or just go with it and pay close attention and get as much of it as you can? For me, I know that in about 60% of natural Russian conversations and content I listen to, I can basically understand the topic of the content or what it's about, but don't really know what they're actually saying.

I am interested in this approach in conjunction with more traditional means (anki vocab, grammar study).

In this video he specifically talks about understanding the message vs. fully understanding. I'm interested in, for example, watching music reviews in Russian and trying to tell if the person liked or disliked the album, even if I can't tell the details.

Anyways, just throwing this topic out there for discussion and interested in getting a more fine-tuned idea of how to engage with this type of content. Thanks!

submitted by /u/Persimmon_Leaves
[link] [comments]

from Ẹ káàbọ̀ https://ift.tt/3qc71PF
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments