How to stand up for my parents more effectively?

For background: my family and I are Indian. I've grown up attending an American school so I have an American accent, and a fluent (better than a lot of natives, to be honest) command of English.

My parents can speak 3-5 languages each. Both speak Hindi, Odia (our native tongue) and additionally, English, almost fluently. My dad also speaks Marathi and Urdu.

Yet every time my parents come to my school, be it for a fair or a teacher conference, they become subjects of ridicule. Why? Because they have accents.

Why is it that Spanish, French, etc. accents are considered 'sexy' while Indian accents are mocked? My parents can speak English, a language which is basically a polar opposite of their native tongue, almost fluently, and yet they are mocked by white and monolingual Americans, Canadians and British kids who make grammatical mistakes in their native language ("I studied real good")

When I try to stand up for them, people just laugh at me and mock my parents by mimicking their accents? I'm just sick of this blatant racism. My Chinese and Korean friends experience the same mockery, while other types of European or South American accents are appreciated (or fetishised, to be honest) .

submitted by /u/vintagetimetable
[link] [comments]

from Ẹ káàbọ̀ https://ift.tt/3mhtcBG
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments