English tutor/teacher, need help from anyone with experience (book ideas, etc)

I tutor a lot of people from different walks of life that are studying English, and the majority want to get good at conversation and speaking. I've been taking the formal approach and using a textbook with them, going over grammar, giving homework, etc. But I want to help them more with speaking. Of course we do conversation practice, but they generally only get that once a week and that's with me. I have a feeling a lot of them don't study much otherwise, which is on them, and I let them know that. But those who are more dedicated I really, really want to help them get better at forming sentences. Some have been stuck for months or even years having a great grasp of grammar but barely able to form correct sentences together.

What can I do, as a teacher, to use our time together to the fullest and help them improve their speaking? Are there any phrase books, conversation books, applications, etc anything that I can utilize in class that could help that you think are beneficial? If we don't use anything, that's fine too, but many are uncomfortable with that.

For example, I have a student that understands a LOT but still makes mistakes using be/am/is/are/do/did/doesn't when making questions and confuses them up still. I wonder how I can teach it even better to sharpen that up for them.

Any advice on materials, activities or even ways to speak to them would help. I've brainstormed myself before so I just wanted to get some help from this community!

submitted by /u/johnnytk0
[link] [comments]

from Ẹ káàbọ̀ https://ift.tt/3fHl4Id
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments