Where to get started learning Vietnamese, esp. southern dialect

Recently I've been looking into studying different languages and working on getting some basics down in different languages. I got to near-A1 in Japanese and would like to continue learning it to B2, but I'm not sure if I should put it on hold aside from semi-regular refreshers. I really do love Japanese but I don't think I can trust myself to learn it at the same time as Vietnamese.

I'm thinking that I'd like to learn Vietnamese first before anything else for cultural and family reasons, even though Japanese and Spanish would probably be more useful for me in everyday life. I'm half Vietnamese, my mother and grandmother immigrated to the United States several decades ago. While my mother can't speak Vietnamese anymore, my grandmother regularly uses it and talks to family members from all over the country and other people in the diaspora. I'd like to learn southern Vietnamese to be able to talk to my grandmother and other family better (it would be easier for them than English) and connect with the Vietnamese-American community the best I can. I was raised in a household speaking only English and my grandmother lives quite far away, so it'll be difficult to learn from family. I don't live in a city, but in rural West Virginia, so in-person Vietnamese courses are pretty much impossible for me.

With Japanese, I used Busuu as well as Japanese movies/TV to help me learn. I really like the way Busuu does things, but they don't offer Vietnamese. Is there some sort of online program or app that I can use to help me learn southern Vietnamese? I'd be willing to try just about anything I can do from home or some other place out here in the middle of nowhere. I do have internet access. If y'all have any suggestions, please tell me. Thank you.

submitted by /u/34arrows
[link] [comments]

from Ẹ káàbọ̀ https://ift.tt/3oB6buP
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments