When trying to understand the material in your target language saps your enjoyment of it and you end up switching back to a translation in your native language

This is an issue I've been experiencing with all languages. I remember trying to play games in Japanese and Korean by changing the settings. However, trying to understand what was written sapped my enjoyment of the game and it felt more like a chore so not long after, I would switch back to English.

I bought a light novel in Japanese but when I found out that there's unofficial English translations of it, it made me not wanna continue chugging through the Japanese version because it would take me hours to try reading it in Japanese and it feels like I'm just torturing myself. Yeah it's good reading practice but it feels more like a chore.

How do you deal with this issue? Even if you say go for easier material, it might not be material I'd enjoy as much. The only solution I can think of is go for stuff that have no localization or translations at all cause then I'd have no choice but to keep going if I want answers.

I don't seem to experience this issue with shows though. You got animations, movements, voice acting, music, sound effects, etc. to provide a lot of context so I'm still able to enjoy them even if I don't 100% understand what is spoken.

submitted by /u/InsomniaEmperor
[link] [comments]

from Ẹ káàbọ̀ https://ift.tt/3ea1ZO2
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments