some things I have discovered on my quest to become trilingual

I'm a fluent Norwegian and English speaker, and have recently embarked on Russian.

At first, I thought having 2 languages would just confuse me, but I find it helps.

Associating words with one another has proven the best way to get them into my long term memory, and for this I use both of my languages:

For Russian теплый (teplyy) meaning "warm", I associate it with "Teppe" for carpet in Norwegian. Carpets provide warmth and there you go.

---

There are also a load of suspiciously familiar words:

Plate = [R] 'тарелка' (tarelka), [N] 'tallerken'

Onion = [R] 'лук' (luk), [N] 'løk'

---

I have been using Memrise for vocab, Duolingo for grammar, and Netflix for general immersion.

My process is to watch something Russian, with Russian subtitles, make a stab at pronunciation and see if I can work out what it is they are saying, THEN switch over to English to make sure. I have found it a very passive and entertaining way of learning, also, you get to hear a native speaking colloquially with contextual understanding.

Just thought I'd share that

submitted by /u/monkwarbler
[link] [comments]

from Ẹ káàbọ̀ https://ift.tt/31WgRL7
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments