Friend wants me to help with learning a language. I'd love to help, except I'm not all that great either.

First off, I already know this plan is going to be very limited in its success. I have ZERO illusions that I can effectively teach anyone this target language (French; we both speak English fluently). Guess I'm asking a sort of "what would YOU do" ethical question.

A little background:

Many years ago, my French was pretty decent. I was able to carry out spontaneous conversations on diverse topic matters, and people had no problem understanding me (so probably a B1-B2). I do still have the foundational knowledge but I'm back to A1-A2 in terms of actual speech.

I have been self-studying grammar and vocabulary + supplementing with 1-2x italki lessons a week. My French is still very rough, but I feel myself regaining my abilities, which is awesome.

Friend has no prior background in French (or any other Romance language). Their current curriculum consists of Duolingo + immersion (e.g. Disney films). I have never used Duolingo myself so I don't really know what it does and doesn't teach.

My "helping" consists of us occasionally attempting broken French conversations about the weather or our pets. I correct the very obvious mistakes: e.g. "you use 'il fait' for the weather not 'il est'", or "that's a BAGS adjective, so it goes in front of the noun it's modifying."

This is the extent of my French "helping" abilities lol. Like, yes, I personally know the different past/present/future tenses, indicative vs. subjunctive mood etc, demonstrative vs. object pronouns etc... but I feel singularly unable to explain any of this. There's nothing I can help with beyond saying stuff like "J'aime mon chien noir"

So yeah...what would you suggest in such a situation? Put bluntly, I do think my friend knows that I'm in no way qualified to help anyone with French and is simply at peace dabbling with broken French. I'm kind of the opposite and all about textbooks/conversation classes/etc., so this hurts my soul haha.

Because of this, I would like to know how I can do the least damage haha. And perhaps, how I can slyly suggest my friend to look to more serious resources because relying on me isn't going to do it lol. (I actually did already suggest to my friend that they take classes from an actual native/fluent speaker, and they were like "nah, I got you!" and I was like "uh... oh, OK.")

submitted by /u/heart_like_a_grave
[link] [comments]

from Ẹ káàbọ̀ https://ift.tt/34zq6CD
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments