Certified Medical Interpreter (Pro/Con)

Question: Why is becoming a certified medical interpreter so expensive (~$2000)? Are all the fees worth it?

Background: I've been taking Spanish classes and speaking Spanish for about 8 years now. I'm applying to medical schools in the US right now, and I'm curious about becoming a certified medical interpreter for Spanish before starting med school. I'm interested because I've heard that many doctors claim they "speak" Spanish but barely know much Spanish. For many of those patients, having a certified interpreter would really benefit them. If I become a doctor and interpreter, I feel like I'll be especially able to advocate for and support Spanish-speaking patients. However, several training programs I've looked at cost >$1000 and the official certification test costs ~$700.

submitted by /u/vivaciouscow
[link] [comments]

from Ẹ káàbọ̀ https://ift.tt/37JqVuB
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments