Advice for learning two similar languages at the same time

Let me start off by saying, I know that learning two similar languages at the same time is not exactly recommended, at least until you're at an intermediate level in one language. However, I am planning on moving to Catalonia in the future, and my boyfriend and his family are bilingual, speaking both Catalan and Spanish. I'm a native German speaker so I'm not a complete noob when it comes to language learning. I started with learning Spanish some time ago and my progress is not super fast, however, I'm starting to have a basic understanding of the language and I signed up for a (paid) A2 Spanish class for this semester. Anyways, recently I discovered that I can enroll for beginner Catalan seminars at my uni and it's completely free. Since I won't be studying at this uni for much longer, I really want to take advantage of this opportunity now. However, I obviously don't want to lose my Spanish progress and I already paid for the class.

Essentially, I'll be having 3 hours of A2 Spanish classes every week and three hours of A1 Catalan classes, plus homework and some self-study like podcasts, reading and speaking to my boyfriend. Does anyone have advice on how to make progress in both languages at the same time while not getting too confused? I know that I'll probably mix them up a lot but maybe someone here has some experiences that they can share with me.

tldr; I already paid for my A2 Spanish class but now I got offered to join an A1 Catalan class for free. How do I make some progress in both languages even though they are very similar and thus possibly confusing for a beginner?

submitted by /u/famousincident
[link] [comments]

from Ẹ káàbọ̀ https://ift.tt/3oKLGvJ
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments