A (Probably Ignorant) Question from A Native English Speaker

Hi folks. I'm kinda new to reddit and have been shopping around for where/how to ask this question. I think here may be best but if not mods please let me know ( (I also considered the linguistics subreddit for instance but it seems pretty scientific).

So as I said I'm a native English speaker. I have some experience with other languages (a few years with Spanish and Latin, a little time now with Irish) and a little linguistics knowledge, but not much. As such English feels like a very plain, normal, and unromantic language to me. I know this is certainly because it is my native tongue, but for some reason I can't stop thinking about this question/shake this idea. I'm hoping maybe y'all could help??

For example, Latin feels like it has a lot of dentals but is also pretty nascal. Irish feels pretty guttural (but not all the time). And today I was watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq2_gTETBXM about different Germanic languages, and they all also seem very guttural and like they share common sounds that we don't have in English (by which I mean the ich sound I guess?). And then when I hear people speak Romance languages they feel very Romance language-y too...

I know these are all really just stereotypes and that this is dumb and that probably the sounds English does not have/the parts that seem foreign just stick out. I also know English has some things that are unique, like how different spelling and pronunciation are and even some unique sounds like the American r and stuff. But I hear other people talk about other languages as beautiful and melodic and I don't feel that way about English at all it just seems plain and unremarkable???

Having typed this all out I just feel like a very American English speaker in all of the worst, more stereotypically self-centered and ignorant ways. But I'm going to post this anyway--maybe you all could disabuse me of this notion/point me to some unique traits of English?? Let me know I suppose

submitted by /u/readcremesoda
[link] [comments]

from Ẹ káàbọ̀ https://ift.tt/37QZzmg
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments