Trying to decide between Scottish Gaelic or Welsh

I recently got results back from Ancestry DNA, and am interested in diving deeper into some of the cultures that make up my, well, makeup. To that end, I've decided to try learning a foreign language, and have come down to either Scottish Gaelic or Welsh.

I like both languages from what limited exposure I've had on Duolingo so far. I'm more Scottish than I am Welsh, but more people speak Welsh that Scottish Gaelic. SG is an endangered language, so there's arguably a higher cause to helping it grow, but there are a lot more Scottish Americans and access to Scottish cultural "stuff" in the US than Welsh; which would make diving into Welsh language and culture a bit more unique and meaningful in a different sense.

I also think it's cool that, while English is the dominant language in both Scotland and Wales, that their respective governments both actively support those native languages. Being as both countries have movements that want to eventually separate from the UK, I can also see those languages being promoted even more in the future.

So, I can't decide. Right now, I'd just be studying by myself and for pleasure. If I ever did get proficient enough, I'd love to start interacting with other speakers online, and maybe seeing if that proficiency could lead to anything; but I have no plans of actually going to the UK anytime soon.

What would you say are the pros and cons of each language? Which would you chose, and why?

submitted by /u/Briguy28
[link] [comments]

from Ẹ káàbọ̀ https://ift.tt/3igyMkL
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments