Tips for learning Russian from Native SO?

Hello all!

I am in the process of learning Russian with the goal of making fairly simple conversation (B1 level?) since my SO and his family are from Russia. Currently based on the states so they are basically my main resource. I really enjoy languages and have a really strong level in French and solid Spanish, so I do feel confident that with enough time I’ll have enough Russian to at least say hello and be mildly entertaining with simple phrases at family get togethers, though hoping I’ll make more progress than that.

The process is a bit trickier because of the change in alphabet (which I am learning), but to be honest for me to learn I need to have phrases repeated in a social setting or at least in context of a story or something. Moreover Spanish I’d my main focus right now so Russian will be more of a small side hobby (3 or 4 hours a week total maybe?)

This is what has not been effective:

  • YouTube videos etc

  • Recording conversational phrases in Russian (too long and they just don’t stick because the sound set is quite different.) on Quizlet with his voice

  • Recording vocabulary in the kitchen for example. Flipping through the vocabulary is fine but not sticking or really social

So my upcoming concept is to use a whiteboard in my room for a big old list of new verbs and vocabulary to try to bring up in conversation. I’ll write them out phonetically as well in Latin alphabet, maybe with a small picture. I’ll update how it goes but if anyone has insight or ideas about how to best take advantage of having access to a native speaker, I would appreciate it!

I’m likely going to cross post to general language learning because I think people will have plenty of general tips there as well. If you guys also have any insights on learning Russian as a EN/FR/ES speaker that would be cool too (for example I’m looking over a list of French/Russian cognates, there seem to be quite a few).

Thanks for any insights!

submitted by /u/missjo7972
[link] [comments]

from Ẹ káàbọ̀ https://ift.tt/3cJtnBB
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments