Those who study foreign languages and deal with depression at the same time - how do you do it?

So I'll spare you the sob story of childhood trauma and personal life bullshit and go straight to the point - I've been dealing with some pretty bad depression for the better part of five years. I had a brief stint of studying Russian in 2017 before starting Norwegian in October that year.

So today I still study Norwegian and, while I love the language and would do anything in my power to move there, it's quite difficult for me to achieve good progress because most of the days I can barely concentrate. I've been stagnated at B1-B2 since around 2018 and I feel it's not really working. This makes me feel unmotivated, which keeps me from studying effectively, which makes me unmotivated... you know the drill. Not sure if all I need is a new method or something else, but I don't want to give up just yet.

So the question is mainly for those who struggle or have struggled with depression and managed to learn a language to a certain degree you felt comfortable with - how did you do it? How often did you change methods and what worked for you? I would love to give Norwegian a fair chance even though I understand some of my lack of progress is due to my mind not being in the right place.

Thanks.

submitted by /u/cumfaucet420
[link] [comments]

from Ẹ káàbọ̀ https://ift.tt/34tcgAz
via Learn Online English Speaking

Comments